THE LEX FILES

Thursday, March 16, 2006

MARCH MADNESS....RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!

MARCH MADNESS

Ok, so I have been trying to fill in my brackets last minute. That's probably not the best plan of action, considering I haven't watched hardly any men's basketball games this year. I know the big names, and after watching a lot of Sportscenter the past 2 days I now know some of the smaller names thanks to Dickie-V. Still I found myself pretty much just guessing this morning. Taking some small risks and then some bigger ones. Even after I said to myself that I was gonna put in some research this year and blow it out. Not happening. There's just not enough time, and then I just stopped giving a crap. The Women's Tournament however is different. I have a file folder to read through before Saturday's games begin. I notoriously do better in this bracket than with the men's. I think honestly this is because I watch a little more women's hoops and keep up with it during the year. I also think that, while it's getting better, the ability of the lower seeded teams to advance is not great. 64 teams are a lot, and there are sometimes when I think that if it were narrowed to 32 or 48 teams then it would be more competitive earlier. These games are easier to pick because the gap between the best and the "just eh" teams are huge. We're talking Grand Canyon huge. Although the top teams that have had a strangle hold on the sport for so long are now finding that their grip is slightly looser. I'm enjoying the up and coming teams and the hope of better competition. I'm glad they keep it at 64, this allows the smaller teams to develop and grow. It gives them one thing you can't get anywhere other than the tournament and that is experience. That is worth even an early exit, because you build on experience. Just look at Kentucky's team this year. Mickie Demoss has her wildcats looking good going into the tournament. A 5 seed isn't bad, capping off a year in which she beat her mentor of 18 years Pat Summitt and her remarkable as always Lady Vols. This tournament will be another stepping stone for that team and so many others and I think in a few years were are going to see a much different tournament, a better one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home